Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hey Good Lookin...

Lemme tell ya' 'bout what I got cookin'.

Once a week I go to my local Safeway(which is a pretty crappy one) and spend $100 on the week's groceries. It's funny, every week I am within $3 of my budget. Then I go home and cook. And cook and cook.

And I love it.

This little guilty pleasure of mine has been going on for a couple months. I cook and freeze food for the next week. This weekend I cooked for two weeks because of the move. This week I tried something new, however. I didn't use a single recipe. Which worked in some cases and screwed me in others. So here is my journey in the kitchen.

First up was Rice Krispie Treats. Pretty basic, Rice Krispies, Marshmallows, Butter and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Chips. Then it was on to cornbread. One batch was very simple an basic. The other I added Anaheim Peppers (not-so-spicy) and Cheddar cheese, too.














Yeah, totally forgot the whole salt thing. I'm really trying here!


So I moved on to enchiladas. For these I used ground turkey, refried beans and Cheddar cheese.


My two very authentic ingredients? Corn tortillas ($2.50 for 90!) and that Mexican spicy sauce.











Oh well. Time for chili!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Tomoko's favorite food is chilli, and your cornbread looks wonderful.