Thursday, May 15, 2008

Going back to Cali


As we get ready to hop on our plane back to California, I am reflective of our trip and the nice time we had. My SIL's house is amazing, decorated to the nines tastefully yet boldly. She is raising 3 great kids - William who just starred in his kindergarten musical debut of "Tiki Tiki Tembo", Ally - who is learning sex ed with hr 8th grade class and Rochelle - who is so 15 is brings back all sorts of memories (15 is the hardest age, I think). The house is also populated with my MIL who works the overnight shift and somehow sleeps through all the ruckus in this full house, my BIL and his best friend - they joke that they would get married if only they didn't have to consummate the marriage, and sometimes my nephew - who wants to play basket-foot-soccer-wrestling-karate and maybe, just maybe ninjas.



Bless Rochelle's heart - she let the boy and I stay in her room all week so we had reasonably comfortable digs. We visited the Zoo and Pike's Market. The backyard was graced with multiple games of every sport known to little boys. We ate way too much and drank even more.


Bonney Lake, Washington is a little different then the Bay Area or SoCal...


My SIL gets her milk delivered.

All the neighbors know each other. Really well.

Some people don't have fences.

The boy bet me $10 I would not see a single person at the grocery who was not of European descent - I lost. Twice.


You cannot purchase liquor at the grocery store. You cannot purchase liquor on Sundays. The liquor store closes at 7 (8 on Fridays).


AND - if you attempt to buy booze at the liquor store and realize you left your ID in your other purse back at the house because you just flew in and are a little bit discombobulated - they will admonish you in front of the entire store, yell at your BF and SIL for trying to purchase for a minor and kick you out. Your whole group will be kicked out of the store. Welcome to Washington, bitches.

“Washington is nicknamed "The Evergreen State" because it sounds better than "The Incessant Nagging Drizzle State."” - Dave Berry

3 comments:

Kate said...

Welcome home!! Now you can buy booze everywhere and at any time!!

Laurie Anne said...

Ah yes, Bonney Lake. Urban sprawl at its finest.
I also have been yelled at in the liquor store. I was in my mid 20's and was making a booze run for the folks with my brother who was 15. They would not sell to me just because I was with a minor. Did they really think I that dumb that if I was infact buying for a minor, I would bring him along??? Geesh.
Hope your stay in WA wasn't too bad. At least you missed the heat. It is going to be 80 all weekend
:0)

Andrea - Under a Blue Moon said...

Did you get married and not tell us? I'm just wondering when you picked up this SIL......