Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Kickin' off another flip-flop summer


Ahh, summer is in the air. The boy and I have decided (well, I informed him) that we will be hosting our first BIG party!


For the event we needed to purchase new patio stuff. Because pulling our indoor dining furniture outside is cool and all...


We almost put the brakes on right there. You see, patio stuff is REALLY expensive. It seems that if you want to entertain, you have to spend a damn fortune filling up your patio.


Have y'all seen gas prices? We needed a quick fix, or our little BBQ as doomed at the gate. So, the boy and I checked out the Memorial Day Sales at the discount stores.


Everything was very economical and I can't wait to warm my toesies under the new fire pit (Walmart, $44.58). We also invested in 2 cheapo grills ($19.94 & $24.38, Wally World again) so we can have "dueling grills" for our party.


Big Lots! yielded us tiki torches, extra large citronella candles and a $5 jumbo beverage (keg) bucket. And at Home Depot we scored 8 solar garden lights for under $20.


Lowe's Memorial Day sale was also a great find! Although it is a plastic set, our 6 new chairs and 36" patio table were under $60.


We also got a whole bunch of other stuff, grill accessories, fuel (torches and Qs) and a surprisingly cute top - as in shirt (Gotta love those big box stores).


I guess the moral is, you CAN have your cake and eat it too. A little extra price comparison, cute fabric to cover a plastic beige table and a "take it or leave it" attitude might get you pretty far and still be able to fill up your tank.


What I need NOW is great grillin' recipes. More then just ribs and corn, I need the GOOD stuff. So let me know, I have to outshine the plastic chairs!
“You can call her an outdoor girl if she has the bloom of youth on her cheeks and the cheeks of youth in her bloomers”

1 comment:

Maddi Rose said...

We both know someone very well that is a great BBQ-er. I know she has recipies...if its not on paper..its in her head. (And Greg too...he BBQs wonderfully!!!)

Glad you were able to hit the big sales!! (Kohals had a good one this last weekend I was able to get some summer work clothes! yay!!)