Monday, April 28, 2008

Pay it forward



Due to an early morning event last week, I had to be at work at 6:15. AM that is. Now, living in Temecula, that means I had to leave no later then 5 am to make it with traffic and whatnot. Well, my butt was out of the house at 4:52, (we are still talking AM) and thought I deserved to treat myself to Starbucks.
As a girl who is cutting calories and sticking to a strict budget, this was a big deal. Sitting in line in the drive thru, I watch the car ahead of me pull forward and I roll up to collect and pay for my morning goodness.
The girl at the window says "I'm sorry, I don't have a total for you-"
Me (in my head, not out loud) What?! It is before 5 in the goddamn morning and if your are too stupid to figure out the God damn register so I can get my coffee, so help me God, I will climb through that window and show-
"Because that man," and she gestures at the car, "just paid for you."
"-" <-- this is me sputtering like my dear sweet mother
"He said he didn't know you," she continued, "and just paid for you."
"-" <--now I am pushing my credit card at her
"You'd better wave back!" She again gestures at the man's car which is paused at the end of the drive through.
As I wave to him and he waves back and pulls away. I turn to her and say,
"I feel like I am in a movie!"
"Me too," she says.
Made. my. whole. morning. No really. MADE. MY. MORNING. WITH A-CRAP-EATING-GRIN ON MY FACE THROUGH ESCONDIDO.
And no, there was nobody behind me that I could pay it forward to.
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" -Anne Frank (unless there is no one behind you in line!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how Oprah. Love it.

Kate said...

What?... Why I don't... I mean I don't really... Well, but gee... I don't think... I don't splutter...

Your Dear Sweet Mother