Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Backyard at Night


In case you haven't picked up on it yet, I really love my back yard. After YEARS of apartment dwelling and a backyard under ongoing construction before that, I really appreciate what I have now.






Above is my "tweak-on-the tiki" Somehow roping these together draws more attention then single torches. Plus, it gives the backyard a bit of a Pirate theme.


Hurricane lanterns add a nice touch. BUT, I need to remember not to leave the candles out during the day, or melting can occur. (update - yesterday it was over 105 and that whole candle is mush!)

This is the canopy at night. I have tried to do what all the magazines and shows say - make the outside space a room. I even have a gorgeous Asian rug on the ground.

One might feel guilty putting a Asian rug outside, but, a) it has seen better years (doggie potty training and my aunt's kids) and b) I use it every friggin' day. The lights hanging from the corners are tea lights in mason jars hung from wire.


Thank you Martha Stewart for that one!


Go put something from the inside of your house outside. Then sit back with a glass of wine and tell me it doesn't improve your deck, patio or balcony instantly!




4 comments:

Kate said...

The melted candle looks like something out of Salvador Dali's artwork...

YFM

Laurie Anne said...

Looks great. We just got our patio situated and I love it. Now that the weather is supposed to warm up (we are expected to hit 80) I'm sure we will be spending lots of time out there, at least I will :0)

Anonymous said...

Love it! Love the rug espeacially. Ok, so I heard a rumur that you might be kissing this backyard goodbye for another one is Oceanside?

Nicole said...

That is so romantic. It reminds me of the episode of Queer Eye where they guys do up the bachelor's back yard like a Moroccan palace and he proposes to his girl friend under the silk scarf tent.
That candle is a riot! It looks like some kind of "found art".